On January 24, the Education Commission’s Director Liesbet Steer and Senior Advisor Edith Asibey welcomed Commissioner Julia Gillard to discuss the future of global education financing. As Chair of the Global Partnership for Education (GPE), Julia Gillard gave an overview of the organization’s model and its Financing Conference happening in February 2018 in Dakar, Senegal.
Here are a few recommended highlights from the 60-minute presentation:
- At 5:48 – Commissioner Gillard answers “what’s at stake” for GPE’s replenishment.
- At 9:27 – Director Steer explains the rationale behind the Education Commission’s recommendation to fund GPE at US$2 billion a year by 2020.
- At 14:50 – Commissioner Gillard addresses the key elements of GPE’s model of working in partnership with countries.
- At 20:00 – Director Steer offers an overview of the international financing needed for global education.
- At 26:49 – Commissioner Gillard outlines expectations for GPE’s Financing Conference in February 2018.
- At 31:50 – Director Steer speaks about the year ahead for global education in 2018.
- At 36:33 – Presenters answer questions from participants, including discussion on the role of civil society and the need to focus on girls’ education.
If you have questions or comments about the presentation, let us know in the comments or email us at info@educationcommission.